Week 7: Leadership

I am a natural leader. I can lead a group of people I have no idea who they are or where they came from. I also really enjoy leading. My problem is, I don’t have enough time to lead outside of school. That leaves only one time during the day for me to lead- during school. Here at West Ridge, there are great opportunities, like student council and section leader in band, for me to lead. But, those need votes and that is something that is hard for me to get. This whole leadership thing is a catch 22- you need to lead for people to be confident in your leadership, but if you have never lead before, how can you expect them to go far enough outside there comfort zone to vote for someone new? You can’t just assume that people will vote for someone who is new, for all they know, I could be horrible leader like Stalin or Marie Antoinette. I tried to become a section leader, but I got one vote, no where near some of the more popular kids were getting. Also, I would not even think about trying to get on the student council. The amount if time and effort it takes is way more than what I am willing to do, or even have. Plus, I have noticed that only popular kids really get elected. Sure, I would have my friends vote for me, but in reality, I am only known in my group of friends.

Leadership at my school really boils down to who is the most popular. Popularity is something that I am definitely not interested in. I like to do non-popular things like sit on my computer and play indie games instead of playing sports. As you can probably tell, I am not a ‘sporty’ person, which does not help my popularity, but WHO CARES! Not me! I despise popularity.

In my own circle, I am a leader. But really, we all are leaders. No one bows down to anyone and no one looks up to one ruler. We all treat each other as equals and friends alike. Not one of us really follows a crowd. We make our own decisions and do what we like, not some ‘popular’ thing that is boring and uninteresting to us.

After writing this, I realize that this post is quite a rant on popularity. It was good for me to rant on popular people. I was building up quite a load of things to rant and I needed to let some steam off. Now, I have been satisfied.

2 thoughts on “Week 7: Leadership

1. You are absolutely a natural leader! it shows in everything you do. I see you as having a very successful future. Plus, you are an outstanding writer! 🙂

2. I’m with Ischoch – you can write! Have you heard of the ‘power of the pen’? Maybe that’s where you begin.